STEP UP 17
Looking to build on the success of our last management plan TAKE OFF 14,
we have launched STEP UP 17. This new plan will guide us through 2017
with clearly defined goals designed to improve competitiveness and
TAKE OFF14 — Former Medium-term Plan
TAKE OFF 14 was a success, with all numerical goals attained within
the specified timeframe. Moving forward, we will continue with previous
efforts in our two business segments.
- Develop drivers of future growth
- Continue structural reforms to offset increasing costs of
raw materials and energy
- Accelerate overseas business growth
- Increase profitability of our ethical pharmaceuticals business
amid global efforts to curb rising healthcare costs
- Restructure our agricultural chemicals/veterinary drugs business,
which is struggling due to increases in bulk-drug costs and stiffer
competition, among other challenges
STEP UP 17 — Current Medium-term Plan
Accelerate growth & Increase profits
Strengthen priority businesses and take on the challenge of future growth
Strengthen our already strong business
Probiotics and Yogurt
Net Sales Target¥180.0billion
Enhance our competitive edge by conducting future research
into the benefits and effects of lactobacillus.
Net Sales Target¥100.0 billion
Expand market share by emphasizing the health benefits and
premium quality of our products.
(Enteral Formula / Infant Formula)
Net Sales Target¥56.0 billion
Increase sales of high value-added products by leveraging
our expertise in nutrition-engineering technology.
Focus management resources on growth businesses and markets
Consolidated Net Sales
- Infectious diseases
- Aim for a larger market share in systemic antibacterial drugs.
- #3 → #2
- Central nervous system disorders
- Aim for a larger market share in antidepressants.
- #2 → #1
- Generic drugs
- Maintain our #1 position in the domestic market among
domestic brand-name pharmaceutical firms.
Improve profitability to withstand harsh economic environment
Implement sound operations specifically designed to address
the medium-to long-term increase in raw material costs.
Enhance production and procurement systems to prepare for
changes in drug prices and stiffer competition.
Pursue Global Expansion
Overseas sales of
Expand business by introducing innovative products in key
countries/regions such as China, Asia and the U.S.
Overseas sales of
Identify demand in emerging markets accurately and expand businesses.
Evolve the management system
1. Improve governance
- Comply fully with our Corporate Governance Code.
- Improve management of capital productivity.
- Disclose information in a timely and appropriate manner,
increase transparency, and improve dialog with stakeholders.
2. Improve quality assurance
- Strengthen approach to heightened interest in food safety and reassurance
- Strengthen the system in the pharmaceutical business, which is undergoing global expansion
3. Develop global human resources and diversify